January 13, 2019
WORD FROM THE PASTOR
Last week, I mentioned that the new year is a great time to reflect and to journal about God’s activity in our lives last year. I wrote of how God had showed Himself gracious and kind to CLA in 10 ways. It was a great year and there is so much to be thankful for. CLA continues to be used by God in profound ways to bring transformation. The church is healthy. God is on the move! Here are the next 10 of the 20, in no particular order. Please continue to pray, to give and to be involved in what God is doing! If you didn’t get a chance to read last week’s 10, I encourage you to as it will boost your faith.
- CLA was named one of the Best Christian Workplaces in North America – For 5 years we have been measuring staff health through a survey given every spring. Our scores started very low as there was much turbulence on staff at that time. As we have worked with a coach from BCW, the MLT has focused on good practices and to laying a spiritual foundation. This year our scores reached a new level of flourishing. This was celebrated by being recognized across North America as a healthy and dynamic place to work.
- Young Adult Ministry Multiplying – Pastor Jeremy King, Pastor Jason Ballard and their team have worked hard to build a very solid Young Adult ministry that gathers on Thursday nights. Last week there were 410 at their Gathering. It is a rich place of fellowship, learning and equipping for mission. Many in this demographic have come to Christ. In addition, young adults have become involved in the overall ministry at CLA in increased numbers.
- 50 Life Groups – We prayed for multiplication of Life Groups in neighbourhoods across our region. We reached our goal. These groups are now focusing on mission, increasing their commitment to reaching lost people. Pastor Mike continues to recruit, train and deploy. Our desire is that everyone is in a small group and on assignment.
- Celebrating with the Sooke Campus – We saw our Sooke Campus grow and change. They rented a high school auditorium for services. They saw people come to Christ. They have outgrown their building! Now Pastor Marty Mittelstaedt has taken up leadership there. Exciting days ahead.
- Transformation Weekends – Foundational to our mission is bringing change into people’s lives through Christ and the work of the Holy Spirit. We had two great weekends and are now planning on taking this life changing experience on the road to share with other churches who also need a fresh move of the Holy Spirit. Lives are being revitalized.
- Momentum in Women’s Ministry – Multiplication continues as new groups are added (evening groups) and the HER Conference strengthened relationships and focused both women and leadership on important steps for ongoing health.
- The Start of Monthly Churchwide Prayer Gathering – A year ago, we launched a monthly church prayer meeting on the last Sunday of the month. It has mobilized hundreds of people: leaders, volunteers, staff, and families into intercession for key initiatives God has laid on our hearts. Come next Sunday!
- The Revelation preaching series – Preaching through the Book of Revelations was enthusiastically received as new insight was granted by the Spirit on an important and often mystifying book. We opened the curtain and were allowed to see beyond our own circumstances.
- Help Us Tell the Story, Christmas at CLA – This Christmas, special funds were raised and hundreds of guests came to our Advent Sundays, special events, production and Christmas Eve services. There was so much interest in Next Steps that we ran out of magazines and Bibles. It laid a great foundation for this week’s first Alpha (a very strong start).
- AGM, changes to move us forward, allowing women on our Board – Rarely would an annual meeting make it into the top 20, but this year’s changes make important adjustments for the long haul. As Pentecostals we believe in the priesthood of all believers, empowered by the Spirit, for men and women in ministry. At the 2019 AGM we look forward to having women on our board
– Derrick Hamre Lead Pastor
UPDATESCONNECTING POINTS WINTER issue | Available today from an usher.
Correction: Location changes for 2 classes beginning this Wednesday, Jan. 23 at 6:30 pm: ‘Spirit Filled Life’ is in the East Chapel. ‘Following Jesus’ is in the East Hall.
WELCOME TO CHURCH PARTY | Today | 12:30 pm | Café | For all those new to CLA over the past few months, join us at this lunch, meet some of our pastors and learn more about CLA.
REV PARENTS’ MEETING | Sunday Feb. 3 | East Hall | 7 pm | Guest speaker Sid Koop is returning! He is one of Canada’s leading voices on parenting and pastoring students. We will also share some important Rev updates and give time for questions.
COMMUNITY BIBLE STUDY | starts Tues, Jan. 22 | 9:30-11:30 am | East Chapel
Our Winter session starts this week. Classes are free and study material is provided for you. This semester we are excited to start a 12-week study of Philemon; 1,2 & 3 John; and Jude.
FAMILY NEWS | At the beginning of January, memorials were held at CLA for Caterina (Cathy) Kaerne and Clare Faa, Allon Faa’s father and Nicole Molnar’s grandpa. A Celebration of Life will be held for Marilyn Mayer (Irene Solbrekken’s sister) on Thursday, January 24 in the CLA Conference Hall. Our heartfelt condolences to all these families.
CLA Kids Faith Fact of the Week: There is one true God. God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are One.
KIDS/YOUTH AVERAGE WEEKLY ATTENDANCE | DECEMBERLangley Kids [Sun. 9 & 11 am] – 256
Preteen [Sun. 9 & 11 am] – 52
Youth [Tues. 7 pm] – 16 Total: 474
Morning Services | 9 & 11 am | Auditorium
Rev678 | 9:40 & 11:40 am | East Hall
Welcome to Church Party | 2:30 pm | Café
Recovery Church | 6 pm | Auditorium Monday
Monday Night Men | 7:30pm | E. Chapel
ESLC | 9 am | East Hall
Revolution (Youth) | 7 pm | Conf. Hall & East Hall
Mornings with HER | 9:15 am | Conf. Hall
Alpha | 6:30 pm | Conference Hall
Following Jesus Class | 6:30 pm | E. Hall
Spirit Filled Life | 6:30 pm | E. Chapel
ESLC | 9 am | East Hall
Young Adults | 7:30 pm | Auditorium
For a list of weekly prayer meetings, visit clachurch.com/prayer