Welcome to 2024! I have used the early days of this year to review last year, both personally and in church ministry. This is an important spiritual discipline for me. What did God do? How did He guide? What surprised us? How were we changed? This is part of my top 10 for CLA from 2023. I’ll share the other half next week. It’s a tough list to narrow down. I started with many more. God is at work. I recognize it. I hope you do too. Praise Him! BTW, it is not in any particular order as I find that even harder to do.
- 365 days of Zoom Prayer – with a strong belief in the power and blessing of prayer, I am thrilled that some of our prayer warriors continue to guide daily prayer online from 6:45 am to 7:30. It’s powerful to know that everything we do as a church is being covered in intercession. This is the foundation of all God’s anointing in 2023. Sincere gratitude. Keep it up.
- The coming of Pastor Branden & Brielle Holmquist – for 6 months Branden & Brielle worked at the Langley Campus to prepare to take over leadership of our Sooke Campus of CLA. They were a huge blessing and now take on a significant task. Their vision, hard work and creativity is a blessing. Good days ahead for Vancouver Island.
- Over 100 Water Baptisms – water baptisms are a significant part of being a follower of Jesus Christ. They are foundational. It is a public declaration of fidelity to our LORD. I was thrilled to be a part of a baptismal service in the Jordan River this year, baptizing some who had never been fully immersed. On Sunday morning (including a spontaneous baptism on Easter), through Recovery Church, Rev Camp, our Campuses, and special events, followers of Jesus Christ stepped forward to say “no turning back”. Many more than this accepted Christ this year and we continue to pray they too will follow through with this important step in 2024.
- Women’s Retreat in the Spring – during Covid, so many special events were cancelled or postponed. This year Pastor Debbie and her team put together a fantastic weekend gathering women at Rock Ridge. Over and over again, ladies would stop me to say “thank you” and to express how blessed they were by the experience. Definitely a top 10!
- The Summer Kids Camp & Bus Ministry Outreach – the 4-14 window (the age that most people come into personal relationship with Jesus Christ) remains a personal passion for me. So grateful for Pastor Jenni and her team for launching the largest kids camp in CLA history. Along with both Langley and Maple Ridge, Pastor Carl also used his sidewalk Kids Clubs to reach hundreds of children. This is why we pray, give our tithes, and work hard – to make sure the Gospel is passed to the next generation. What a summer it was.
Next week I will finish the list.
Please join us for our annual week of prayer. The weather may be cold, but the worship and prayer will be hot. We start Sunday night, followed by nightly prayer in the auditorium at 7 pm (it will also be online here). Mark your calendar. Bring your Bible and personal journal. Make these nights part of your new year resolution, to seek God for yourself, family, church and nation.